Wednesday 9 February 2011

Our Featured Artist for February - Cynthia Lund-Torroll

This month’s artist is Cynthia Lund Torroll



Cynthia Lund Torroll



She was one of first artists I discovered when I joined Redbubble and her art has always fascinated me. There’s a great mystery and magic about each single piece and I am so happy she has now started to write as well as I love her poetry and have featured it recently.

Here’s what she says about her art and herself…

I have been drawing for as long as I can remember. My mother claims I was two when I started – in my high chair.


I didn’t always value it as an honorable activity. I sought studies in psychology and social work – wanting to help cure the world with my empathic skills. However I found myself crippled by my own fears – intense panic attacks and clinical depression along with complicated physiological factors. My world grew smaller – by intent and by force of circumstances. But I have always felt that there was something inviolate within that was stronger than anything topical/situational. So slowly, s L o w L y – and steadily over the past 22 years, I’ve brought myself back into life. The drawings are touch posts. They often speak louder than I – or they tap into a stronger, more fierce side of myself. They are a mystery to me – and often show more insight years after I complete them. But I am compelled to make them. They engage me. When I get the lines right, something within me is righted too.


Eckhart Tolle is one of my modern-day heroes. Along with my mother. I was heavily influenced by Picasso and Dali when in high school. I studied independently and was encouraged to develop my own visions – which I did. Since I didn’t go to art school or college actually (does one totally panic-stricken semester count?), I had to rely on my own sensibilities. I was also pretty much ignored by my family in regards to my work – so my flame was fanned internally – and then later – by some remarkable friends. At this point, I’m grateful that I never studied formally and am almost protective of my eyes in viewing other historical art figures. It’s really just been within the past few years that I have started to actively look at other work.


Right now, my favorite drawing is Timor Servilis
To me, it captures everything that’s been going on the past year with my life and my internally balancing.


Timor Servilis by © Cynthia Lund Torroll
Timor Servilis by © Cynthia Lund Torroll

The color work and writing are unique to Red Bubble. I have found the community here so warm, inviting and supportive – that I am experimenting greatly.

I love the way we’re all affected in so many ways by Redbubble – the friends we make the support we give and receive and that it allows us to experiment and try out new things. Therefore let’s start with one of Cynthia’s colour experiments. The colours and textures in this image are just wonderful, spirtual and magical all at once.

Mid May Maiden by © Cynthia Lund Torroll
Mid May Maiden by © Cynthia Lund Torroll



Here are some more of my favourites

I love the delicacy of this one. An almost secret maybe to be told…

Wind of Steel by © Cynthia Lund Torroll
Wind of Steel by © Cynthia Lund Torroll



The detail images are so fabulous in their own right. Full of mystery and magic.



Under an Odd Moon (detail) by © Cynthia Lund Torroll
Under an Odd Moon (detail) by © Cynthia Lund Torroll

The colour of Viridis is just amazing and the face half-hidden by the leaves makes this special.



Viridis by © Cynthia Lund Torroll
Viridis by © Cynthia Lund Torroll


An image in progress… totally fascinating to wonder where it will go but a beautifully detailed drawing in its own right.

The Witness (Day One work – detail) by © Cynthia Lund Torroll
The Witness (Day One work – detail) by © Cynthia Lund Torroll

I am a colour girl and I am so enamoured by the way Cynthia uses colour in a special, very delicate way even if the colours are as intense as in this image.


She Comes in Colours by © Cynthia Lund TorrollShe Comes in Colours by © Cynthia Lund Torroll

It’s interesting to see how she plays with her drawings and creates new ‘logic’ from parts of drawings she’s already done. It’s a process one can almost follow, almost like a silver line going to somewhere else. More mystery perhaps.


Luna by © Cynthia Lund Torroll
Luna by © Cynthia Lund Torroll

The detail in this drawing is totally awe inspiring. Each little branch and the mysterious faces entwined within. Fabulous.



Cacophony by © Cynthia Lund Torroll
Cacophony by © Cynthia Lund Torroll

If I had to choose just a single image from Cynthia’s gallery, this would be it. I find it compelling and touching.



aWay (detail) by © Cynthia Lund Torroll
aWay (detail) by © Cynthia Lund Torroll

Another mysterious image – half the face hidden behind the fan and it makes you wonder if she smiles or if she’s about to tell a secret – all beautifully rendered in pencil…



The Fan by © Cynthia Lund Torroll
The Fan by © Cynthia Lund Torroll

And here’s my final image. I am not sure how I managed to stop because there are many more I’d like to feature… :-) This is beautiful and I can almost hear the story unfolding.

The Calling by © Cynthia Lund Torroll
The Calling by © Cynthia Lund Torroll



I am so pleased Cynthia agreed to be our featured artist for February. Her art is stunning and I wish her lots of luck with her art, her writing and her self discovery. Isn’t that what art is all about?

Please congratulate Cynthia and add your favourite images to this post.

Sybille and Anna xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!